OpenMemories App Shown on Camera's Application Tab
DHI Enterprises shows us how to install a third party application for Sony Cameras which support the PlayMemories Camera Apps. The third party OpenMemories AppStore can now be installed using the same method shown.
from the OpenMemories AppStore developer:
This is an experiment in a very early stage. All information has been found through reverse engineering. Even though everything worked fine for our developers, it could cause harm to your hardware. If you break your camera, you get to keep both pieces. We won't take any responsibility.
However, this seems to be safer than tampering with your camera firmware directly. We're just interacting with the isolated Android subsystem. Apps you install this way can be uninstalled in the applications manager. In the worst case, a factory reset of the camera clears all data on the Android partitions.
How To Install OpenMemories AppStore on your Sony Camera
- Set Camera USB Connection to MTP Mode.
- Turn Camera Off.
- Connect Camera to Computer via USB cable and turn on Camera.
- Using Internet Explorer or Safari, go to https://sony-pmca.appspot.com/apps.
- Click on OpenMemories: AppStore by ma1co.
- Click on Get Camera Info to ensure you have a proper USB connection.
- Click on Install OpenMemories: AppStore
You should now see the OpenMemories AppStore in your Cameras Applications Tab.
If you don't want to risk your camera's warranty try the Official Sony PlayMemories AppStore, https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/.
Read more about the OpenMemories at their github page and start developing your own apps for Sony Cameras.